Contents of the magic mushroom grow kit
- 1x substrate container with 2100 cc / ml mycelium, perlite and vermiculite
- 1x grow bag with air filter
- Misting Bottle – Misting is needed for the humidity level
- Potable water – For misting and soaking, warm water for soaking
- Clean environment – Work clean to give other fungi and bacteria (micro organisms) no chance to contaminate.
We recommend using
- Surgical gloves
- Disinfectant for hands
- Disinfectant for surfaces
- Soaking Bag
- Thermo mat (when room temperature drops below 18°C)
How to store the grow kit correctly
We recommend to start the cultivation process right away. But if you decide to start growing later, store your grow kit in the refrigerator (2°C to 4°C) for 2-3 weeks after the production date. The production date is on the cardboard box and contains the two digits of the week number.
Make sure your refrigerator is clean and free from bacteria, yeast and other sources of contamination. Just in case, wrap the grow kit in a clean plastic bag and close it well.
Before you start the cultivation process
- Close all doors and windows. Wind or draft may bring microorganisms that can contaminate the magic mushroom grow kit.
- Disinfected your work area and surface. If this surface is not clean, microorganisms may attach to the grow box and will flourish inside your grow kit causing contamination .
- Make sure you work with clean hands and arms. We recommend using surgical gloves or a good disinfectant when handling the kit. You should use a face mask to avoid breathing into the grow bag and on the cake.
Instructions Mexican GetMagic grow kit
1. Wash your hands thoroughly and clean the outside of the grow kit with a dry cloth. Remove the lid ans save for step 2.
2. Fill the grow kit to the edge with lukewarm water (20°C), put the lid back on the grow kit and let it soak for 5 minutes. It is Important to never soak the grow kit for more than 1 hour.
3. Remove the lid from the grow kit and drain the water. Let the grow kit drain for 10 seconds.
4. Place the grow kit in the grow bag and fill the grow bag with a cup (200-250ml) of lukewarm water (20°C). Then fold the top of the bag and close it with 2 paperclips.
5. Place the grow kit in a place with 20-25°C average room-temperature. Make sure that the grow kit is not in direct sunlight, not under a lamp and not near a radiator/heat source.
Keep the grow bag closed until the first pinheads form. Until then, the CO2 content and humidity inside the bag should be as high as possible.
6. When the first pinheads are visible, let some fresh air into the grow bag on a daily basis (for a few minutes) and then moisten the grow kit with a misting bottle. Pinheads are the first visible forms of tiny mushroom caps. It can take 10 to 20 days for the first pinheads to be visible.
7. The mushrooms can be harvested just before the membranes (veil) on the bottom of the cap opens up. While harvesting gently grasp the stem and turn it left/right. When the mushroom becomes loose, pull it out as carefully as possible. The mushroom must be completely removed so that there is room for a new one.
Congratulations, the harvest is complete. It is now possible to grow a new flush of mushrooms by repeating steps 4 to 7 again.
The ideal temperature for mushrooms to develop is 24°C. Do not have the temperature drop under 20°C and not exceed 29°C. To keep the temperature from dropping under the 20°C, you can use ato maintain the ideal temperature. A thermomat /heatingmat is a must-have in the winter or colder regions of the world.
The magic mushroom kit only needs light for the mycelium to ‘understand’ it has reached the surface. Only then, mushrooms will grow. A few hours of fluorescent/artificial light or indirect sunlight a day is more than enough. Direct sunlight kills the mycelium, so avoid the sun to shine directly on the grow kit.
The day the first pins show you begin with misting. Open the grow bag by removing the paperclip. Do not spray directly on the cake but spray one time against every side of the bag. So you mist once a day, four sprays. Misting also vents fresh oxygen inside the bag. Right after misting, close the bag again with the paperclip.
Frequent air exchange (FAE)
Keep the grow bag closed untill you see the frist pins, CO2 should be as high as possible to induce pinning. After the pinning stage you can open the bag 1-2 times a day to let in fresh air. Open and close the bag and push out the air and let is some new.
If the cultivation conditions are optimal, you can expect the first small mushrooms (the pins) to appear between 10 and 20 days. This also depends on the strain. Some cubensis strains grow slower than others. to reach maturity it can take up another week. A full grow cycle can take up to 4-5 weeks.
The mushrooms come up in groups. A growth like this is called a flush. You can get more than one flush out of a kit. The first two flushes are the largest. When more flushes come, they will be smaller than the previous one.
Picking and Harvesting
Mushrooms should be picked when the veil between the hat and the stem is about to or has just torn. Don’t wait longer or the mushrooms drop their spores. Pick the mushrooms that are ripe and let the others continue to grow. The other option is to remove all the mushrooms and start a new flush.
How to pick your mushrooms:
- Use surgical gloves or disinfect your hands, wrists and arms.
- Remove the mushrooms from the cake by taking hold of the base of the mushroom between thumb and index finger.
- Rotating your hand clockwise slowly, until the mushroom lets go.
Do not pull out the mushrooms. This would risk damaging the mycelium and killing it. When most of the larger mushrooms have been picked, also pick the smaller ones and the pins as well.
Mushrooms that grow from the sides
Mushrooms grow where the light reaches and where there is little penetrating resistance. Because the cake has light shining on the sides, the mushrooms might also grow there. You have a few options:
- Darken the sides of the kit by putting it in the cardboard box.
- Spray the top soil a bit to stimulate more growth on the top
- Do nothing and let them grow
After all the mushrooms are harvested, you prepare the kit for the next flush. Disinfected your hands or use gloves; take the grow box out of the grow bag.
- Fill the container with lukewarm water (20°C)
- Take the lid use it to close the container.
- Let it soak for 5 – 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, and drain the water
- Place the growkit in the growbag and fill the growbag with a cup (200-250ml) of lukewarm water (20°C)
This is called the soaking process. Water will now soak through the cake, preparing it for the next flush.
During the soaking you can hang the grow bag with microfilter upside down to dry. Many growers prefer to use new and unused grow bags after every flush.
To continue, follow the same steps 2 – 7 as before when you started the process for the first time. Several days later, a new flush will appear. You can get at least 2 flushes out of a grow kit. The first flush often is the biggest.
When no more mushrooms grow out of your grow kit after the second flush for at least 5-6 weeks, or when the grow kit turns green, red, grey or yellow; the grow kit can be disposed of. The change in color is a sign that the grow kit is contaminated with another fungus or bacteria. No more mushrooms will grow out of the mushroom grow kit and the grow kit should be thrown away in the garbage outside or in your garden.
When you are too late picking the mushrooms, they will drop their spores. The cake and the mushrooms will turn black/purple (some other cubensis strains red/brown) because of the spores. This is not really a problem; it just doesn’t look very pretty.
When mushrooms release their spores, they also start to degrade, and the active ingredients are breaking down. Mushrooms will lose some of their potency.
Cap: 20-50 mm, Brow (yellow) brown when the mushroom matures,
Stem: 40 -125 mm, medium ot large in size, bruises green blue when touched
Spores: Dark purple brown, 11.5–17 x 8–11 µm, subellipsoid, basidia 4-spored
Substrate: PF Tek and BRF, Rye grain, Straw and Dung
About GetMagic Grow kits
This Magic mushroom grow kits contain everything you need for growing magic mushrooms at home. It contains the grow bag, ready to grow mushroom substrate and clips to close the bag.
The GetMagic grow kits bring back the old school cool of layered magic mushroom grow kits. The 100% colonized mycelium has perlite underneath and a vermiculite layer on top. These layers ensure to keep the kit humid and makes it easy to keep the kit in optimal conditions.
To reach it’s full potential the GetMagic grow kit will need your help, love and good vibes. You add water and heat, and within 2-4 weeks you will be rewarded with a high yield of magic mushrooms.
This kit is meant for small-scale home use only. Do not use for human consumption. Use for spore reproduction and research only.
There are no reviews yet.